"CAM-Cancer" is an open-access, non-profit web resource providing health professionals with evidence-based information about complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) for cancer.
The aims of CAM-Cancer are:
- To prepare and disseminate information for health professionals based on the best available evidence in order to assist them in making informed treatment decisions together with their patients. Our summaries can be found here.
- To maintain and develop an international authoritative network around CAM in cancer: the CAM-Cancer Collaboration.
Originally funded by the European Commission (EC) within the Framework 5 Programme, the CAM-Cancer project is now managed by the Norwegian National Research Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NAFKAM).
Since 2007, NAFKAM has maintained and developed the website and its content. It also manages the CAM-Cancer Collaboration - an international collaboration of experts in CAM or/and cancer. CAM-Cancer is part of NAFKAM's programme of summarizing research and informing health professionals about the research status in CAM.
NAFKAM is located at the Department of Community Medicine at the Faculty of Health Sciences, UiT The Arctic University of Norway.
CAM-Cancer is entirely non-profit. It receives no commercial funding or funding from any institution with a conflict of interest. The main funders of CAM-Cancer are currently NAFKAM, as well as Anticancer Fund, German Society of Hematology and Medical Oncology and Swiss Cancer League/ Swiss Cancer Research:
- NAFKAM is funded directly by the Norwegian government’s Directorate of Health. NAFKAM does not endorse or recommend any treatment/ therapy or any particular person/ organisation providing therapy. NAFKAMs research and information services are entirely non-profit and independent. NAFKAMs websites do not offer advertisement of any kind.
- Anticancer Fund (ACF) is a non-profit organisation providing research-based information on cancer therapies.
- The German Society of Hematology and Medical Oncology (DGHO) is an organization of scientists and physicians specializing in the research, diagnosis and treatment of blood diseases and malignant solid tumors.
- The Swiss Cancer League/ Swiss Cancer Research is a national charitable organisation fighting against cancer and supporting patients and their relatives.
If your organization is interested in supporting the production of new CAM-Cancer summaries, please contact us.
An outcome from the original CAM-Cancer project was the development of a strict methodology for producing and reviewing the high quality summaries found today on this website.
Writing, review and editorial processes all follow pre-defined methods, and the CAM-Cancer editorial team and Executive Committee ensure that the summaries comply with the guidelines and templates. Read more about this here.
The CAM-Cancer summary manual provides detailed information about the methodology used for writing and reviewing summaries and describes the editorial process employed by CAM-Cancer.
Also, the CAM-Cancer website complies with Health On Net’s standards for health online information (HONcode).